Thursday 7 January 2016

Little Pocket Purse

 Little Pocket Purse.
this one made from Anna Graham's tutorial:

http://www.noodle-head.com/2009/10/zippy-wallet-tutorial.html



Not completely happy with this as the zip was too long so doesn't sit perfectly.
As I have a lot of 5" zips, I'll make a larger version, so I can fold the edges of the zip tape out of the seam allowance which gives a better finish.
I put a press stud under the button to fasten the tab and found my sewing teacher sitting on my shoulder insisting on twisted buttonhole stitch into each hole. Well it does give a very neat finish!

I was a grammar school girl and in 1956, year three, 13 to 14, I completed a file of technique samples which included bound buttonholes, plackets, buttons and press studs. At least I was spared the directoire knickers my mother had to make by hand at Oxford High in the thirties!

3 comments:

  1. Gosh - we had to WEAR directoire knickers! That was in the 1960s at a convent grammar school in Wolverhampton. The upside was that I was able to take needlework to advanced level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had elastic legged navy blues... But the French teacher not only wore directoire knickers she kept her hanky in the pocket and retired to the corner of the classroom to hitch up her skirt when she sneezed! I can still remember the sniggers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was brought up to do a proper buttonhole stitch with the little knot or twisted buttonhole as you call it. I sort of squirm when people call blanket stitch a buttonhole stitch. Here in Northern Ireland we were obviously way behind the times as I had to make the knickers you refer to and that was in the 50s. We also had to wear them for school uniform

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Heather